Friday, June 4, 2010

Culture Shock: "Pack a washcloth" / "Buy a towel set"

I like the idea of staying at budget hotels or hostels, because it saves me money. It appeals to my sense of frugality; and a sense that I am also conserving on the earth's resources by not using high-end luxury soaps; or allowing the unnecessary daily laundering of the linen and towels.

But it is something of a culture shock when I arrive at a 3-star hotel in Vienna and there is no washcloth to use for showering. Or to see that it will cost a couple of US dollars a day to rent towels at a hostel in Prague.

Fortunately I did remember to pack a washcloth from home. I also remembered to pack a "travel clothesline" on which to line dry my own washcloth while I am out for the day.

I could have packed a bath towel so I would not need to rent a towel-set at the hostel too. But the bath towel takes up too much precious space in my compact "airline-carry-on only" luggage for the trip. I could probably buy a towel set for less than the cost of the rental over several days. Then I would leave the towel set when I checked out of the hostel ... They can add it to their fleet of rental towel sets!

No comments:

Post a Comment