Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sametové Revoluce and Prague's role in the Globalized World

While the entire trip was an incredible learning experience for me, I particularly paid close attention to my experience in Prague. As an undergraduate I studied American History and learned quite a bit about the Cold War and it was quite unbelievable to be in a a country that was ruled by the Soviet Union not so long ago. This point was brought up a few times while we spent time in the city.

The Velvet Revolution struck a chord with me and my experience as an American citizen in a foreign country. While I very much understood and loved my experience in Vienna, its difficult to grasp the importance of the Hapsburg empire on the culture today. Walking through Prague you can still see and even touch buildings that were built by the Communist rulers. The Velvet Revolution was a profound turning point for the country and for the people who lived there and what is even more astounding is that it was done peacefully. American history has driven by wars in its foreign policy and while it at times has been needed. It is interesting too see a whole country who can move from a harsh leadership to their own with relative peace.

In Prague there are multi-national companies such as Dell, T-Mobile, Sun-Microsystems and Hollywood films reach the streets, along with American music in the vehicles on the street. Clearly in the short time since the Velvet Revolution Prague has become globalized from a cultural perspective. While I was there I saw Western culture even though McDonalds was serving food that suited the local interest. Most importantly though Prague has kept great care of its cultural treasures from Saint Nicholas' Church to Saint Vitas Cathedral. Charles Bridge though has become overrun by tourism and the baroque style statues that are on the bridge show great wear from the incredible air pollution in the city.

I think of Prague as a sort of budding country, like the small American nation after the revolutionary war when they gained independence. They were not the most wealthy but they were doing all the right things to go onto be a great power. Prague is an impressive place based on its preservation of history, its economy and the ability to balance it well.

1 comment:

  1. Greentechguy, I agree one of the thoughts I will take away from our visit is an appreciation of how far the Czech Pepublic has come in just over 20 years since the "Velvet Revolution" while at the same time preserving their own history and traditions, to call it remarkable would be an understatement. It clearly is a magnet city fro many reasons and makes me wonder where the Czech Republic will be in another 20 years.

    ReplyDelete