Saturday, June 19, 2010

Overall Reflections

As a global citizen I must admit that I have not been a very good one. Never before have I been challenged with so many thoughts that really went beyond the U.S. Borders. Honestly, I thought these issues were just interesting but not to a point where I would consider myself being prompted to action. This trip really opened my eyes to so many things that I really never considered. I'll start with Immigration policies.
When visiting the IOM (International Organization for Migration) I was surprised with all the issues that have occurred with elimination of borders. Many people have left their country in search of work only to find themselves being exploited economically and sexually. I was impressed with the services this organization offered in regards to helping people return to their homes. The director of this organization was very impressive and passionate.
I was also struck with an interesting concept. That concept is that the U.S. does not do everything thing in the best manner. A prime example is our use of the world's resources. I was informed while at OPEC that we are only about 20% percent of the population but yet we consume 80% of the world's resources. Honestly, I was a bit embarrassed at those statistics. As Americans, at times I think that we think that we can do whatever we want with very little thought as to the global impact.
The visit to the UN also raised some thoughts about the use of atomic energy. different perspectives are always challenging to incorporate into you thinking process.
I have definitely been challenged in my thinking process and my awareness of global issues have definitely increased as a result of this trip.

1 comment:

  1. You make very insightful observations about the challenges of being a "global citizen." "Becoming a Global Citizen" is probably a lifelong and never-ending process because there is always room to increase one's awareness about the global issues. In addition, global citizenship involves the process of reflecting on what is one's role and responsibility in those issues; and making personal decisions about whether and how one can participate (in voice or action) to address the issue or improve the situation for humanity or the planet.
    This is very tall order.
    It is quite a challenge.
    It is a humbling realization.

    But it is also exciting to come to this perspective, and to sense that one CAN make a difference in our common future.

    Thank you for your reflections.

    ReplyDelete